Skåne Energy Agency is the lead partner of the Urban Baltic Industrial Symbiosis (UBIS) project which is financed by the European Regional Investment fund Interreg South Baltic. Within the UBIS project, they will develop pilot cases on industrial symbiosis, learn about the concept and spread knowledge in order to inspire new symbiosis sites in the South Baltic region. 10 partners in 5 countries (Poland, Lithuania, Denmark, Germany and Sweden) will learn about industrial symbiosis in order to spread the knowledge and inspire new symbiosis projects and sites. The project partners are studying and learning from current industrial symbiosis sites and the 5 pilot cases will be established.
The project will also create tools to facilitate industrial symbiosis, initiate local networks and arrange study visits to inspire companies, local authorities and other stakeholders. Industrial symbiosis is when waste from one industry can be used as a new resource by another.
The UBIS project aims to implement five pilots:
- The city of Malmö focuses on planning tool. The objective of the UBIS project for the City of Malmö in Sweden is a soft pilot planning tool. Malmös aim is to develop a tool/GIS-layer that map industrial symbiosis streams, such as heat, cool, materials in various forms in the harbour area in Malmö. This will be a helpful tool in marketing the possibilities with industrial symbiosis.
- Kalundborg Utility focuses on water. Kalundborg Utility in Denmark will extend the present example of serving the Industrial Symbiosis in Kalundborg with an additional service offer to the industry. The possibility to supply cost effective surface water for production with an around the year constant temperature.
- Gdańsk University of Technology focuses on heat recovery. The major task will be the identification of groups of enterprises which could collaborate within an industrial symbiosis system in the Pomeranian region in Poland. A particulate task will be waste energy sharing among companies. For this purpose a Spinning Fluids Reactor- based mobile system is proposed for low temperature heat recovery from various types of power generators.
- Bjuv focuses on urban healthñ. The municipality of Bjuv are focusing on “Urban Health” by Industrial Symbiosis. It involves identification and analysis, city planning and implementation. By using residual heat from local industries the municipality can create new healthy and social environments for people in urban areas.
- Silute focuses on waste management. The municipality Silute in Lithuania will develop municipal waste storage by installation of new infrastructure for collection so that the waste can be recycled and get a second life as new raw material.