Over 320 local and regional Energy Agencies from across Europe, representing a total workforce of 2500 energy experts, stand ready to translate the Renovation Wave into concrete programmes that leverage massive investments to renovate buildings, integrate renewables, embed circularity, guarantee high health standards and support the digitisation.
As independent market facilitators with public mandates, regional and local energy agencies have been essential delivery agents of the Energy Efficiency Directive as they:
- support public authorities and advocate the exemplary role of public buildings by providing them with technical assistance services and raising their energy efficiency ambitions (art.5 EED);
- implement energy savings certificate schemes within their regions to support the renovation of buildings or the development of sustainable mobility solutions (art.7 EED);
- perform energy audits for the public and private sectors, implement their recommendations, monitor and promote energy management systems (art.8 EED);
- inform and empower consumers through awareness campaigns, training and facilitation services to develop energy communities (art.12 EED);
- contribute to the design and implementation of sustainable heating and cooling solutions and fuel switch strategies at local and regional level (art.14 EED);
- provide adequate and targeted information and advice to relevant market actors regarding available energy efficiency mechanisms and financial and legal frameworks (Art. 17 EED);
- stimulate the energy services market in their territories through their facilitation services and techno-economic competencies in renovation projects (art.18 EED);
- are in permanent dialogue with national and regional legislators in order to take appropriate measures to remove regulatory and non-regulatory barriers to energy efficiency (art.19 EED);
- promote to their national and regional authorities, best practices on innovative financing schemes and technical assistance programmes directed at energy efficiency (art.20 EED).
Based on their collective experience with implementing the EED, our members share through this document the following recommendations and suggestions of amendments.