The North-West Croatia Regional Energy and Climate Agency – REGEA has been established by Zagreb County, Karlovac County, Krapina-Zagorje County and City of Zagreb under the framework of the Intelligent Energy Europe programme.
The North-West Croatia Regional Energy and Climate Agency – REGEA has been established in 2008 by Zagreb County, Karlovac County, Krapina-Zagorje County and City of Zagreb under the framework of the Intelligent Energy Europe programme. After a relatively modest start with 4 employees, REGEA in 2021 has grown to 35 employees with three regional offices and has increased its annual revenues twentyfold.
REGEA’s most important results since 2008 include the following:
- Over 150 million eur of total investment volume initiated in projects implemented together with local and regional authorities, including building retrofits, public lighting reconstruction and renewable energy installations;
- Over 40 successfully completed EU projects through various programs (IEE, H2020, INTERREG, IPA,…), over 20 ongoing EU projects;
- Coordination of the implementation of the first ELENA/EIB project in Croatia and key technical expert in the second:
- Project NEWLIGHT (2017-2019), achieved over 20 million eur investment in public lighting reconstruction;
- Project RePublEEc (2018-2021) aims to achieve over 50 million eur of investment in public lighting reconstruction in the City of Zagreb (City of Zagreb coordinator);
- Preparation of over 60 strategic and planning documents on the local and regional level (SEAPs, SECAPs, energy efficiency programs and action plans for Croatian counties);
- Preparation of strategic documents at the national level for various Croatian ministries (Long-term Renovation Strategy for Buildings (according to EPBD requirements), National Programme for Energy Retrofit of Culture and Heritage Buildings, National Programme for Energy Retrofit of Commercial Buildings,…);
- Participation in national working groups on the topic of preparation of operational programs for 2021-2027;
- Coordination of the EIT Climate-KIC Hub for Croatia since 2020;
- Significant number of awards and recognitions at the local, national and EU level (ManagEnergy, EUSEW, Energy Globe,…);
REGEA is a member of FEDARENE since 2011, since 2013 the Managing Director of REGEA Dr Julije Domac is acting as President of FEDARENE and the EU Covenant of Mayors Board Member.
Since 2020 the Managing Director of REGEA Dr Julije Domac is acting as Special Advisor to the President of Croatia for Energy and Climate.
REGEA is currently in the process of changing its name to North-West Croatia Regional Energy and Climate Agency, in order to reflect the importance of climate activities and projects for its future work.
REGEA main objective and role is promoting and encouraging of regional sustainable development in the fields of energy and environmental protection through renewable energy sources utilization and energy efficiency measures implementation.
The scopes of its activities are:
- Support to local and regional authorities in implementation of sustainable energy projects in all project phases;
- Promotion and implementation of “best practices” and “case-studies” in regional energy management
- Promotion and implementation of sustainable development concept
- Public awareness activities in the fields of energy and environmental protection
- Up-to-date information and advices regarding regional energy issues
- Advisory support for the implementation of regional energy plans and programs